Save Venice Celebrates 500 Years of Jacopo Tintoretto
In anticipation of the 500th anniversary of Jacopo Tintoretto’s birth (1518/19), Save Venice is funding the restoration of eight paintings by the artist, including the San Marziale altarpiece and the Wedding Feast at Cana in the church of the Salute. Conservation treatment will soon begin on Tintoretto’s Crucifixion in the Gallerie dell’Accademia, Saint Justina and the Treasurers in Museo Correr, and four canvases of mythological scenes from the Sala dell’Anticollegio in Palazzo Ducale.
These restorations have been made possible with funding from Dr. & Mrs. Randolph H. Guthrie, Richard Riess, dedicated to Nancy Jean Riess and her mother, Consuelo Crespo Schnedler in honor of our Lady of Sorrows, The Boston Chapter of Save Venice, and an anonymous donor in honor of Jennifer Fletcher. Save Venice is also supporting various educational initiatives and publications thanks to funding from The Thompson Family Foundation, Inc.. Below you will find a list of the various projects currently underway.
Over the last four decades, Save Venice has restored nearly 20 paintings by Venetian artist Jacopo Tintoretto, including the Paradise in Palazzo Ducale, the Birth of Saint John the Baptist in San Zaccaria, the Baptism of Christ in San Silvestro, and most recently three ceiling paintings from the Sala dell’Albergo in the Scuola Grande di San Rocco and the Deposition in the Gallerie dell’Accademia.
Other “Tintoretto 500” commemorations are being planned by Venetian museums and institutions, including several exhibitions that will open in September 2018.
Exhibitions, Publications, and Educational Initiatives
- Two-year curatorial fellowship for the exhibition Tintoretto, the Human Body, and Renaissance Medicine, to be held at the Scuola Grande di San Marco in 2018
- Research fellowship to edit a book of Tintoretto Itineraries in Venice
- 18-month curatorial assistant at the Gallerie dell’Accademia for the 2018 exhibition Tintoretto Giovane
- Jacopo Tintoretto, Wedding Feast at Cana, Church of Santa Maria della Salute
- Jacopo Tintoretto, Saint Martial in Glory, Church of San Marziale
- Jacopo Tintoretto, Crucifixion, Gallerie dell’Accademia
- Jacopo Tintoretto, Santa Justina and the Treasurers, Museo Correr
- Jacopo Tintoretto, Four Allegorical Paintings, Sala dell’Anticollegio, Palazzo Ducale